Saturday 3 March 2012

Urban Environment- Andreas Feininger

I've come across the artist Andreas Feininger who is mostly known for his urban environment photography. Feininger had said that the city had attracted him since his earliest days as a photographer. But in time this love grew to include all the aspects of the city and its buildings, its people, its cars and traffic jams, its confusion and even its ugliness. "I see the city as a living organism: dynamic, sometimes violent, and even brutal," he stated. I think the people in the city is something that really interests me as a photographer because those moments you capture of them people are luck or fate. It is being in the right place at the right time to walk past those specific people and capture those specific actions that are taking place.









I think aswell looking at Feininger's work a lot of it is being in the right place at the right time. I think there is something magical about being in the right place at the right time, if you manage to time the moment perfectly you could end up with an image that changes your career. Like this image above, Feininger taking the picture just as the man leans over the egde completes the image. I feel like the man being there makes the photo a lot more invitng and less rigid and cold, as the space at the top of the picture and the hard, rectangular, rigid edges of the balcony's give the photo a cold hard feeling. I need to think about whether I want maidstone to be portrayed as cold or hard or to make the photos more inviting.

No comments:

Post a Comment